I have found the sound clip from one of my favourite movies and my personal opinion of a classic film, Forest Gump.
Here is a clip showing one of the sections I am thinking of doing. This is the scene here Forest Gump is in the Army where he and Bubba (his new friend) talk about different types of Shrimp.
For this I was thinking of using the section where Gump talks to the Drill Sergeant.
After playing with Flash (the software I will be using for the final outcome) it made the design I thought of seem quite dull with the same shapes flashing up even though it was is another order each time. My visual abstract felt too predictable with each move because of the consistency in look throughout all the beats.
From this, you can see the different plans for each of the audio clips like I had done for the first draft. With this plan I had decided a few aspects that I wanted to use for my final flash animation.
I decided to do a second draft of my animation carrying over some of the past ideas with a few updates too.
Here below, you can see a sketch of the expected outcome with the specific colour scheme that I want to follow.
The Creating Process
First was the adding of the sound and black background.
The second step was creating the first few shapes for the synth audio. Firstly, I used only circles then I mixed it around with lines, curves and lots of different shapes.
Then I moved onto the Claves animating. For this I created a large square in the middle which never moved position but only got thinker in size. Here you can see the difference from the beginning shape to the bold style.
Lastly, I moved to the flashing beams that I needed to use for the drum kits rhythm. The also changed each time to keep the viewers attention levels high. With the green colour, they would stand out to the rest of the animation to show the part of the animations detail in specifics like the other instruments do.
Overall there was only use of frame-by-frame animation to give the old fashion look of film animation today. With the final outcome I was surprised by the quality of the final animation. As this was my first try with making the animation move with the sound. I do see room for improvement with the style of the square and where I can go further with this.
Before working on the computer I drew out my possible ideas till I came up with a draft of my final visual abstract.
Below is the first draft I came up with. Each section covers part of the visual which will represent each of the different audio clips. It shows this idea of the graphics moving to the beat of the sound to create an entertaining image.
With this draft I have thought about ply the simple shape seeing as the changing of the animation will only let them see it momentarily. Therefore the design should be more simply so it is easier to see what the object is in a short period of time.
Next step was the mapping out of the design on the computer to see how it all could look.
The plan: to create an animation with sound. Where the sound compliments the animation to keep the viewing interesting.
First step, the sound…
To create some inspiration for the video I listened to a range of tunes, each different to one another from orchestral to electrical.
Playing around with garage band I tried out different loops I could blend together to create a unique sound. After browsing through the collection I went on to testing out three sounds with one another.
I chose to go with an updated sound (compared to the instrumental loops) using a synthesiser, a drum kit rhythm, and the clave.
As you can see from the screenshot above, this is the order of the audio that I have constituted together to create my final mp3 from my animation. Each of the loops are synced with each other so there is a gradual blend of the loops to prevent a dramatic alteration that damaged the sounds quality.
Secondly, it is clear that I have tampered with the synthetics track volume to sound more professional and lessen the blunt ending.
The clave and the drum kit sounds were used to create a change to the tune so it didn’t become repetitive. For the sound end I chose to use the clave’s beat to finish as it was a simple quiet rhythm. This was so the sound wouldn’t end so abruptly.
Here you can see I have decreased the volume of the Clave to create a graduated ending to the tune. This is a better approach than a swift cut off.
After forming my final sound I have been able to create up some ideas on how I would like my animation to look and how it will interact with the sound. This could be with the use of colours, lines, curves, etc.
The plan for today is to create an animation with sound attached. The animation would be 15 seconds long. However the sizing would only be the size of a slice of film, this would be 22mm wide and 16mm in height.
The reason for the size is to see the difficulty that would have occurred in the past before the digital, and how that the size can now be manipulated on a zoomed in scale accurately while still being as minute as the end result.